This week, I want to take a look at what it means to be a nerd.
Believe it or not, there’s lots of different kinds of nerds, lots of different meanings behind the word itself.
To name a few:
- An intelligent but single-minded expert in a particular technical field or profession
- Nerd is a term often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age-inappropriate rather than engaging in more social or popular activities
- A person who, although having good technical or scientific skills, is introspective and generally introverted
- A form of candy currently sold by Nestlé under their Willy Wonka Candy Company brand
Of all of these, I think I like the first the best.
I’m a nerd. Actually, I’m a nerd about a lot of things when I get to thinking about it. Stuff like:
- comic books
- video games
- science fiction (books, movies, games)
- fantasy (books, movies, games)
- star wars (cuz it deserves it’s own shout out)
- star trek (also cuz it deserves it’s own shout out)
- the blues
Not a bad list, really.
What’s this nerd talk all about? Well, you’ll have to stay tuned the rest of the week to find that out.