My ‘local’ AMC Movie Theater has had a complete overhaul and is now called an ‘AMC Dine-In Experience’ or some such.
- Big, comfy chairs that recline
- Tables in front of your seats
- Dine-In service (waitstaff takes your food order and brings it to to you (ideally before) your movie stars)
- $12 movie tickets
Wait – hold up. $12 movie tickets? Holy Fuck!
Let’s look at this. Let’s assume a date night. Two people, one movie.
- Tickets: $24
- Soft drinks: $9 (1 each – $4.50 for one if you share)
- Popcorn (yes they still have popcorn): $4.50 for a tub
So far, we’re at $37.50.
I reiterate, Holy Fuck.
Now, imagine if you have kids. 2 kids adds another $24 to the ticket tab, bringing you up to $48! For a movie! And you know the kids are gonna want pop and candy and before you know it, a family outing to see the new Marvel flick is pushing $100…
Supposedly, switching it to the dine-in format was supposed to boost attendance, but at these prices, I can’t imagine how they thought it would work…